Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Wow, that was a bit of a blast from the past. Just did the drying up as my dad washed the dishes. God I used to hate doing it as a kid... everything about it. Heh, it all came flooding back... how funny. The most amusing part was that I think I was getting just as worked up inside as I used to. I think it's the system he works by... there's just no logic to it. I mean, when I wash up, I use quite a methodical approach. There aren't any written laws or anything like that, but I just follow a set of codes & they seem to make sense. I guess that the only downside is that I take fucking ages & some people might confuse what I'm doing with 'faffing'. Hmm... even so... maybe the world would be a better place if everybody adopted my way of doing things. Or, if not mine, then something very similar. Preferably something that I would get the credit for.

I can't stand an abundance of bubbles on the dish, cup or whatever as it leaves the sink and is placed on the draining board. In fact I can't stand any bubbles. They make me feel ill. I think it's because soapy bubbles take up a lot of physical space, yet because they're made of, like, 99.7126% air, they have virtually no physical presence to them. They're pointless. They have no substance. I detest it. They promise so much but deliver so little in terms of a sensory experience. Suckers! Heh, and when I think back to all those years spent drying up after dinner, that's pretty much all I remember; the vague promise of a draining board lurking somewhere underneath a useless, heaving & popping sea of white foam. Urgh. And that horrible crackling noise they make as they slowly burst to death. Bubbles. They were always going to be the first against the wall when I had my way.

So, when I'm washing stuff I'll give it a good old going over with the sponge - a hearty rub, checking and checking again for any sign of remaining dirt - then I'll lift the item above the water before bringing the sponge up above it so that the excess water in the sponge leaks out and washes all the bubbles back into the murky depths below. The trick here is to not find yourself getting carried away in the moment and squeezing the sponge, as this will inevitably lead to problems. Notably a catastrophic explosion of smaller (& generally far more more repugnant) bubbles which you will then have to deal with.

Hmm... the short of the matter is that, when you wash up, the cutlery should be washed first and placed together in a designated part of the drying rack. Then you move on to mugs, cups, glasses and small plates. Then after that you're on to your bigger plates & saucepans... maybe a cutting board. Everything washed well and free of excess bubbles. Obviously if you've got greasy stuff, stuff with melted cheese stuck all over it, or some pretty fucked up saucepans, they've got to go last. I tend to do the same with things that have come into contact with raw egg too.

No idea why I've written all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment