Tuesday, 14 April 2009

The Number 23

I watched The Number 23 yesterday. I'm a big fan of Jim Carrey when he's not in rubber-face mode so, regardless of its universal reputation as being one of the worst films ever made, I was intrigued by it when my brother waved it in front of me along with a couple of others, saying that he had some films that I might be interested in watching. I should really point out that David steadfastly refuses to watch any film that doesn't feature either Jason Statham or some kind of gratuitous car racing nonsense, so you can imagine my surprise when he actually did produce something that I was interested in. So, yeah, I watched it and I thought it was a jolly good romp - and absolutely nowhere near as bad as people would have you believe. In fact I'd even push the boat out and say it was a thoroughly enjoyable romp. A real cinematic romp. No, that's not right... it was a thoroughly enjoyable & thrilling cinematic romp with a twist or two. Or three. Or it could have been four. It was a twisty romp.

In all seriousness I don't get why the film was so badly received... I mean, at worst Carrey puts in a solid performance and it's nothing if not visually accomplished. The whole concept's pretty cool too: Suicide, murder, madness, a dog, a character called 'Fingerling' - Jesus, it's all there! The pieces are in place. My only guess is that it's maybe just a teeny bit bloated, or just way too fiddly & far fetched for most people to deal with... but I'm coming right out and saying it: I dig The Number 23. I think it's a stylish thriller, well written, well executed, and the kind of film that will be treated kindly by the passage of time. So there we are. That's my Jonathan Ross moment over and done with.

Been watching season one of Moving Wallpaper. Brilliant... Great cast, great writing... Shame nobody watched it really. And a shame ITV will probably axe it in favour of another show about Katie Price's huge greasy tit. And her breasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment