Saturday, 20 December 2008

Tried to do a bit of Christmas shopping today. Tried to do it all in one big hit but it just didn't work out. There were too many people so I had to do the sensible thing and give up. I can't bear all that wandering aimlessly around crap... I hate it. In hindsight, it was a bad idea going in at all, because I haven't thought about what I'm going to buy people. Or made any preparations at all... and really I need to know all that stuff first so that I can just turn up and walk really fast to the first place, buy the gift and then walk really fast to the next place and so on. Because whenever I'm walking around town - especially over the festive period - I'm one of those cheery people who find themselves getting unbelievably angry with people who meander all over the place right in front of you, holding carrier bags with far too many rolls of wrapping paper poking out the top, and travelling at approximately the speed of dog poo. I realised pretty sharpish that this was exactly the kind of thing I was doing earlier, albeit without the bag stuffed full of wrapping paper. I knew I was burdening other people in the same way that I am usually burdened myself... and so, alas, I aborted the shopping trip. I was all too aware of the havoc that my being there was causing the rest of High Street, not to mention the chaos caused by my dad and his customary stop-every-five-seconds-to-read-a-text-message routine. Five days to go and I haven't done a fucking thing about anything. It makes me laugh as I always say that I'll start doing all this nonsense in, like, October or November next time in order to bypass all the panic... and I never do. But, hey ho, it's Christmas and we should all be thankful for that.

I received two bottles of wine at work yesterday, a personal record.

No comments:

Post a Comment