Sunday, 21 December 2008

Driving home from Westcliff this morning I was stuck behind some twonk who insisted on driving between the speeds of 28 and 29 miles per hour. In fairness, he went with a variety of speeds going right down to zero as well, but I think it's quite important to stress that, although the speed limit is clearly 30, he didn't want to risk it. If only I didn't feel so embarrassed about overtaking people it wouldn't have bothered me and I wouldn't have to write this... but unfortunately I do, and I'd much rather drive 20 minutes feeling very annoyed than feel the 5 seconds of shame that comes with an overtake. I think it's because I always assume that other drivers are a bit like me, and that they see a certain type of car in their rearview mirror, decide what kind of person is driving it, and then slow down accordingly. If they're anything like me, they'll know that the aim is to gently speed up everytime that you see them shaping up for an overtake. When you don't have a radio you do these things. But, anyway, people like the guy I was stuck behind really get my goat. Actually they grab my goat. They're the ones who slow down almost to the point where they're reversing at every (!) roundabout - regardless of whether there's anything coming or not - and brake whenever a road bears gently to one side. It's so dangerous... you know, I'll be coasting along, eating a cake or reading my newspaper and I'll look up and there's this Nissan Micra parked in the middle of the road.

Oh, and one more thing while I'm having a rant... People who think they need at least two feet of clearance on either side of them if they're to go through a gap. For fuck sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment